Monday, June 29, 2009

Here we go

Between the senior awards ceremony, decorating caps for graduation, prepping for graduation day, and ACTUALLY graduating, I barely had time to think twice about the fact that I was about to start the next chapter of my life all within 12 hours of getting my diploma. In fact, it didn't hit me until my car ride up to Connecticut the next morning at 6:30, (lovely I know), that I was on my way to orientation. 

Wait, what? When did all of this happen? I barely had time to take off my cap and gown when, before I knew it, I was already unpacking my things into what would be my dorm for the next 2 days. 

To be blunt, college life is going to be an adjustment. Orientation, aka a reality check, was eye-opening. To be quiet honest, I really don't know how I'm going to handle living far away. I really don't think it's been until right now that I realize how I was able to stay so calm before orientation. Being busy was my savior. It's when I have time to sit and think about things that I begin to overanalyze, and worry about what's going to come. Now that I'm back, I feel more nervous than ever about leaving for college. Regardless of the two months I have to mentally prepare, there is nothing that could possible ease my nerves about living with someone brand new, sharing a room the size of my closet, and cramming a whole floor of girls into one bathroom. 

I really don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I'm actually estatic for college. I know in the back of my head everyone at orientation was having the same thoughts as me, even if people were just trying to put on a calm front. Let's face it, I was doing the exact same thing. But after going through orientation,  I now realize that only way to overcome this uncertainty is to face it and talk about it. That's exactly what I plan to do over the next two months. 

No comments: